The organic way is a workshop series aimed at giving a complete insight into the create-recycle-create journey! We will begin with creating a kitchen garden in whatever space we have in our homes, followed by composting at home and plant care. From understanding what defines organic, identifying produce and finally, cooking it the right way to maximise nutritional value. In the schedule, we have:
- Part 1: DIY Kitchen Garden (Completed)
- Part 2: Wet waste management, Plant care (Completed)
- Part 3: Produce Harvesting, Management, Tasting (Completed)
- Part 4: Lesser known native vegetables, grains; cook them right (Nov 17th)
Part 4 – Lesser known native vegetables, grains – cook them right!
Explore the world of lesser known local vegetables and grains – lesser known but packed with nutrition. It is important to buy the right produce at the right price. Girija believes, it is equally important to understand how to cook it right for maximum nutrition. We will also add some home-made beauty and home-remedy recipes.
- Health Benefits of various produce
- Introduction to the world of lesser known native vegetables
- Introduction to our native rice, wheat and millets variety
- List of seasonal, local organic produce, buy them when they are in season
- Learn to cook them the right way
- Recipes – Beauty and Home-remedies
- Contact details of local organic farmers/markets for produce
Enjoy our tasting meal of organic produce!
- Detailed notes about the topics covered.
With an educational background of Microbiology, Girija always wanted to use her knowledge in growing her own food. Hey journey to self grown vegetables and fruits started in 2002, on her own terrace. She believes and practices – Zero Budget Natural Farming.
Today, Girija grows most of the veggies on her terrace, the organic way, and takes pride in the fact that 3-5days in a week “She cooks what She grows”!