The organic way is a workshop series aimed at giving a complete insight into the create-recycle-create journey! We will begin with creating a kitchen garden in whatever space we have in our homes, followed by composting at home and plant care. From understanding what defines organic, identifying produce and finally, cooking it the right way to maximise nutritional value. In the October schedule, we have:
- Part 1: DIY Kitchen Garden (Completed)
- Part 2: Wet waste management, Plant care
- Part 3: Produce Harvesting, Management, Tasting
- Part 4: Lesser known native vegetables, grains; cook them right
Part 3 – Produce Harvesting, Management, Tasting
Learn to identify the correct harvesting schedule for various plants, Storing of precious produce including grains, Excess produce management, know the farmers markets.
- Learn the harvesting timeline for various plants (fruits, vegetables, flowers)
- Technique to cut the produce from the plants
- Sowing cycles and companion cropping
- Storage of precious organic grains, fruits, vegetables
- Excess produce management – curing, pickling, etc
- Extracting seeds from various vegetables and fruits for re-planting
- Details and list of local organic farmers/markets for produce
- Tasting session of Organic Vs Non-organic – dal, jaggery, fruit, vegetable.
- Organic food starter kit – Packet of organic moong dal, local organic rice and seasonal organic vegetable from the farm.
- Detailed notes about the topics covered.
With an educational background of Microbiology, Girija always wanted to use her knowledge in growing her own food. Hey journey to self grown vegetables and fruits started in 2002, on her own terrace. She believes and practices – Zero Budget Natural Farming.
Today, Girija grows most of the veggies on her terrace, the organic way, and takes pride in the fact that 3-5days in a week “She cooks what She grows”!