The organic way is a workshop series aimed at giving a complete insight into the create-recycle-create journey! We will begin with creating a kitchen garden in whatever space we have in our homes, followed by composting at home and plant care. From understanding what defines organic, identifying produce and finally, cooking it the right way to maximise nutritional value. In the October schedule, we have:
- Part 1: DIY Kitchen Garden (Completed)
- Part 2: Wet waste management, Plant care
Part 2 – Wet Waste Management and Plant Care
Why waste when you can compost? The world will be a better place if we can make use of the waste that we create in our own homes and help bring sustainability to the earth. This is the principle that drives the second part of The Organic Series’ journey with Food Connects by Girija Venkatraman.
Over a cup of tea/coffee, Girija will help us decode the process of composting at home, using the manure for plants as soil, tips around re-use of wet waste before it is composted. Healthy, pest free plants provide healthy fruits. Learn to make quick plant tonics and a natural pesticide, at home!
- Science behind composting
- Details about composting at home
- Using home wet waste as direct nutrition to plants
- Recipes for quick plant nutrition
- Details about homemade plant pesticide (Jeevamrut).
- Homemade soil nutrient
- Evaluating plant health and use of enzymes.
- Printed recipe of homemade natural plant pesticide.
- One litre of natural plant pesticide to get you started.
- Notes about various plant tonic for different plants.
With an educational background of Microbiology, Girija always wanted to use her knowledge in growing her own food. Hey journey to self grown vegetables and fruits started in 2002, on her own terrace. She believes and practices – Zero Budget Natural Farming.
Today, Girija grows most of the veggies on her terrace, the organic way, and takes pride in the fact that 3-5days in a week “She cooks what She grows”!